The adjacent village of South Green was first recorded as `Southwood Greene` in 1593, becoming the more recognised South Green in 1777.
Towards the top of Bell Hill, Gatwick House, a Grade II listed building from 1767, now secluded from the road by trees, presides over the area which heads down towards the village green on the right.
A great parade of shops on Grange Road overlook the ancient `Green` (originally much bigger) and together they form the heart of the area.
The shops include a Costcutter Supermarket, Post Office, Chemist, Greengrocer and a pretty good fish and chip shop.
The local South Green Infants & Junior Schools both have `Good` OFSTED Reports and the area falls within catchment for Billericay Secondary School, also benefiting from a `Good` OFSTED rating.
Built in 1956 the local village hall serves the community well and on the opposite side of the road a bit further up, `Main Road Garage` provides petrol and the usual garage services.
The bulk of the residential development has been London Borough estates, built in the 1950`s and 1960`s to cater for London overspill. That said, there is a number of old properties in the area, particularly around the Green, providing character appeal.
Finally, public transport. There are bus stops a-plenty in the area taking you to Billericay High Street and Mainline Railway Station in minutes and the surrounding towns in little more.
3 Bed End Terrace House offering a sea of Front parking, a landscaped 45ft x 32ft sunny South facing Garden with a big sturdy Shed, 18ft Lounge with Fireplace, 12ft Conservatory and a 17ft x 13ft max `Hutton` Kitchen/Breakfast Room. Shops 10 min walk, St Peters RC School & Countryside 3-4 min walk.
3 Bedroom (all will take double beds) House boasting a sunny, 52ft South-west facing Garden. Just 2 roads from 90 acres of Mill Meadows Nature Reserve, 5 min walk to local shops including Tesco Express & 600m to local schools. 20ft Lounge, refitted Kit/Diner, sep Utility Room & refitted Bathroom.